Friday, January 27, 2012

Meeting author Pasi Sahlberg

Did not anticipate this, but following yesterday's CIMO presentation, I met Pasi Sahlberg, author of the recently released "Finnish Lesson: What can the world learn from educational change in Finland?"

I purchased this book shortly before leaving Chicago -- it is a concise read about the important levers schools and districts should consider (embrace?) moving forward: (1) Excellence by Equity (2) Teaching Less so Students Learn More, (3) Test Less so Students Learn More, (4) Trusting Teachers with Autonomy for Planning & Instruction.

Pasi shared with me that he is going to the U.S. monthly to help school districts and elaborate on the aspects of his book. He actually was in Chicago in December at UIC's World Class Education Colloquim series. After he signed my copy of his book, he offered to meet with me in a few months after my project has progressed.

Once again... Finland shows me it is a small place with welcoming access and dialogue opportunities with decision makers.

No comments:

Post a Comment