Thursday, January 26, 2012

Academic Bilingualism

Dr. Nancy Commins, Fulbright Scholar at Finland's University of Turku, presented at CIMO (Center for International Mobility) today about "Crafting a Comprehensive Response to Cultural and Linguistic Diversity: A Perspective from the U.S." Nancy provided some insights and recommendations (from her work the past 30 years) as Finland prepares to have a more comprehensive strategy to meet the needs of second language learners.

I was asking myself the whole time... hmm how could Nancy's insights help with teaching and learning at my CPS school with 40+ languages?! I am intrigued to get her book: "Restructuring Schools for Linguistic Diversity: Linking Decisions to Effective Programs." It provides individual schools with ways for teachers to collaborate (without the district) to meet second language learners' needs.

Following Nancy's presentation, a commentary, and Q & A, I joined Nancy, her husband Ken and Fulbright Grad Student Joan Lee for a drink to share our Fulbright experiences thus far... I plan to stay in touch with them during my time in Finland.

No comments:

Post a Comment