Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Viikki Teacher Training School

Today I joined my advisor at the university teacher training school, Viikki Normaalikoulu, to observe three pairs of her students teach mathematics classes (two pairs in sixth grade, one in third grade).  I also had the opportunity to observe a 2nd year upper secondary class solving derivatives (could not believe I actually remembered how to do it!)

Hmm - so I do not know how many of my colleagues, friends, and family members following this blog know - but this is already a HUGE difference with the United States for teacher preparation.  The college students preparing to be teachers actually teach early in their college degree, half way through, and towards the end.  Contrast this the student teaching we typically do in the U.S. at the end of our coursework.  This is a completely different design that provides future teachers feedback on actual teaching practice throughout their studies.

At the conclusion of each lesson, the classroom teacher and my advisor (mathematics teacher educator) Heidi Krzywacki sat down and discussed the strengths and needs of each lesson.  At a minimum, I suggest American college students (preparing to be teachers) could practice teach a lesson instead of completing their university-required "observation hours".  I always put my visitors to work helping with the hands-on activity or tutoring a small group, but this could be even more productive practice.  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think I love this idea, Rob! Ironically in teacher education training there is a lot of talk about all of the different learning styles and using a hands-on, active approach to teaching .... yet the universities here don't put that into practice by letting their college students do some hands-on teaching early on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, great point! It seems that this design plays a pivotal role in developing effective, confident teachers early in their practice. I have been able to join three classes when college students (in pairs) early in their studies were already doing some practice teaching followed by feedback from both the classroom master teacher and my university advisor. This design also must have an impt role why the teacher retention rate is so high in Finland.

    ReplyDelete