Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Collaboration in Action

Today I was able to meet with an important official at the Trade Union of Education in Finland (OAJ). A couple weeks ago, I attended the teachers' national conference and pursued this avenue as another resource to identify mathematics teachers and schools to visit.

When I arrived at OAJ the receptionist asked if my whole group was here. I responded that it was just me, but I had a follow up question, "Does she usually have large groups?" and the reply was yes -- now I felt important and told her when we met. In the course of our two hour conversation, I learned that she organizes visits for delegations from various countries including last year's visit by the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) President Randi Weingarten (that had a lot of coverage).

The HUGE difference in Finland is the recognized, understood, and expected role the teachers union has in shaping education policy, working conditions, and teachers' salaries. Case in point, the country is currently planning revisions to the national curriclum and there are three stakeholders working closely on the process: the government, that National Board of Education, and the teachers' union. Teachers have a respected voice in planning what is best for kids and their learning. How can we work towards this level of collaboration and respect in the U.S.?

I apologize if I am getting repetitive with my posts, but the current state of education in Finland took time. In the 1970s, Finland implemented the requirement for all teachers to earn a master's degree and the teacher preparation through universities with teacher training schools. Besides investing and strengthening their teacher force, over time this established teachers with high status and respect.

In our U.S. history, teachers had a higher level of respect and were listened to by parents, administrators, and political leaders about what is best for kids. We need to gradually and assertively rebuild this level of respect and collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment