Friday, March 16, 2012

"Then I would have to teach like a college lecture..."

Here is one consistent practice I have seen in every classroom I have observed (28 so far).  When the students are practicing the day's mathematics concept, the teacher circulates in the classroom and checks for understanding with each student at least 2 times, if not three times.  Can you believe it?

All of the classrooms I have visited have ranged in size from 18 to 24 students, with 22 students probably being the average.  So, I told one of the teachers I have been fortunate to get to know, Antti, that this past fall I taught three science classes with 35 students in each class.  I asked Antti how his teaching, if at all, would change if he had 35 students.  Antti's response "Then I would have to teach like a college lecture.  I would not able to help each individual student as I do now."

As budgets get even tighter in the U.S., I predict class size will go up even more to save money.  How can we convince educational leaders and decision-makers that class size does matter when teachers are trying to meet students' needs?  With large heterogenous classes (which can have struggling, special ed., second language, and accelerated learners), how can committed, caring educators do their best work?

No comments:

Post a Comment